God’s Mercy Is To All
11 I say then, Have they stumbled that they should fall? God forbid: but rather through their fall salvation is come unto the Gentiles, for to provoke them to jealousy. 12 Now if the fall of them be the riches of the world, and the diminishing of them the riches of the Gentiles; how much more their fullness? 13 For I speak to you Gentiles, inasmuch as I am the apostle of the Gentiles, I magnify mine office: 14 If by any means I may provoke to emulation them which are my flesh, and might save some of them. 15 For if the casting away of them be the reconciling of the world, what shall the receiving of them be, but life from the dead? 16 For if the firstfruit be holy, the lump is also holy: and if the root be holy, so are the branches.17 And if some of the branches be broken off, and thou, being a wild olive tree, wert graffed in among them, and with them partakest of the root and fatness of the olive tree; 18 Boast not against the branches. But if thou boast, thou bearest not the root, but the root thee. 19 Thou wilt say then, The branches were broken off, that I might be grafted in. 20 Well; because of unbelief they were broken off, and thou standest by faith. Be not high minded, but fear: 21 For if God spared not the natural branches, take heed lest he also spare not thee. 22 Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off. 23 And they also, if they abide not still in unbelief, shall be grafted in: for God is able to graff them in again. 24 For if thou wert cut out of the olive tree which is wild by nature, and wert graffed contrary to nature into a good olive tree: how much more shall these, which be the natural branches, be grafted into their own olive tree?
- Israel’s fall is not permanent v.11 Acts 28:28 Be it known therefore unto you, that the salvation of God is sent unto the Gentiles, and that they will hear it.
- Through their fall God has brought grace to Gentiles v12 Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,
- How much more grace when God restores Israel vv.12-13 Isaiah 54:8 In a little wrath I hid my face from thee for a moment; but with everlasting kindness will I have mercy on thee, saith the LORD thy Redeemer.
- God is using Gentile believers to provoke Israel vv.14-15 1 Timothy 2:4 who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.
- Gentile believers have been grafted into God’s olive tree vv.15-20 Luke 15:24 Luke 15:24 For this son of mine was dead and is alive again! He was lost and is found!’ So they began to celebrate.
- Warning against unbelief vv.20-22 John 15:2 He cuts off every branch in Me that bears no fruit, and every branch that does bear fruit, He prunes to make it even more fruitful
- God is able to restore Israel vv.23-24 2 Corinthians 3:16 Nevertheless when it shall turn to the Lord, the vail shall be taken away.
The Lord is my LIGHT and my salvation. —Psalm 27:1